I confess: Halloween isn’t my favorite holiday. While I do love to be a spectator and admire all of the creative costumes….I’m just ME today!
Today is the 31st and I’m gearing up for the start of a new month. New goals, new challenges, new opportunities. In order to GROW we find ourselves facing situations that might be scary for us…mainly because they are NEW to us. Happy Halloween, right? Being scared isn’t so bad. It’s how you deal with it that can change the unknown into success.
What’s got you jittery? Cold calling? A big client meeting? An industry event or conference?
We all get this feeling from time to time. We see what we should do, what we know is right, what our mentors would do…..and we get that little butterfly in our stomach and our confidence wanes. We resort to what is comfortable. Or perhaps we do nothing at all.
Knowing what we should do is half the battle. Taking the right action is where it gets tough.
If you’re facing fears of the unknown and need confidence, here are some ideas:
- Commit to taking action. Identify what is causing your uncertainty. Better yet? Think about this: what is WORST thing that can happen? Chances are it’s not that bad (or probable) and you will discover what to avoid and how to prepare.
- Do research. Research can eliminate fear. Whether you’re researching an industry that is new to you, looking for inspiration or gathering strategies from experts. The more you know the more comfortable and confident you will be when you take action.
- Visualize your success. Playing out scenarios in your mind has been shown to reduce stress and get you mentally prepared.
- Be prepared. The more you plan and prepare the more confident you will be when you approach your fears because you’ve already thought about the potential obstacles you may encounter.
- Relax. If you’re feeling overwhelmed you won’t perform to your maximum ability. Take time to relax, focus and go forward with confidence.